Ping Site

Friday, October 2, 2009

Music and Movement



Have you ever watched the pure, unselfconscious joy of a child physically "becoming" the music she's listening to? There's no polish or structure, just pure joy and light-hearted abandon. It's truly a sight to behold.





Recently I discovered some terrific acoustic music (what I like to listen to most and similar to what I cover when I play guitar and sing in local coffee houses and small restaurants). I was thoroughly enjoying while working out when my five year old daughter came out to join me. Then I watched the music lift her up and float her around the room as though she was showered with Tinker Bell's fairy dust. I had to rush in and snap this picture. Believe me, stills don't do it justice.





My kids don't exercise because they move as part of living a full life; enjoying the sunlight, the breeze, scaling the play structures at the local parks, kicking soccer balls (or flailing while trying) and, finally letting the music carry them to who knows where?





If you don't listen to music when you exercise, consider it. I enjoy mellow stuff when I teach Pilates; heavy, uptempo music when I hit the heavy bag and sometimes classical when I strength train. Pick whatever moves you.





Then move.

*********


BTW - for locals (580/680 interchange area) - I'm doing a show with my friend Brian at Corks in Danville tonight from 8-11pm. Stop by and say hello if you get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment