Ping Site

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Every Other Day Diet Revisited


Whether it was some quirk of the Google gods or my Internet karma coming back to smack me for writing about Will Ferrell, a post I wrote about trying (and failing) the Every Other Day Diet has come back to haunt me. Some people get ghosts in chains that inspire them to buy large turkeys for Christmas. I just get visited by the Ghost of Diets Past.

Back in September of '08, I confessed to my epic fail of diets. It was a program I'd read about in a magazine where you eat whatever you want one day and then severely restrict (300-400 calories) or fast the following day. The idea was that you'd only have to diet half of every month and yet you'd still lose weight. It's not faulty on principle. I do think it would work if only for the fact that anytime you slash and burn calories like that you will see some results. Unfortunately for me it was a one-way ticket to the blood sugar roller coaster ride from hell. One week found me weeping on the floor pleading mercy. You can read the past post if you want all the gory details. (Warning: there is a candy massacre.) So that was it for me.

At least I thought that was it. Until about two weeks ago when I started getting daily comments on that ancient post. Pretty much every single one of them was to tell me what an idiot I am - and those were just the nice ones. Normally I let those comments slide; it's the cost of blogging and I'm cool with people expressing differing opinions than mine. I prefer it if they remain civil but I understand people get worked up about certain things. And this diet is apparently one of those things. Want to really offend someone? Criticize their favorite diet. So in an effort to appease my Google SEO and to put some offended minds at ease, I'd like to clarify.

1. [correction: Jon Benson also wrote book called "Every Other Day Diet", not to be confused with Dr. John Daugirdas who wrote a book called "The Every Other Day Diet"] The books both seem to describe how to follow his diet. I have not read this book [either of them]. Ever. The plan I followed I found in a magazine although I'm guessing the mag was parsing his book. So when I criticized the EODD, I was criticizing the diet-one-day-feast-the-next principle, not Dr. Daugirdas' or Jon Benson's books.

2. It didn't work for me. Please note: for me. I didn't like it and I'm allowed to not like it. I'm glad that it worked for some of you because I'm all about finding what works for each individual person.

3. I'm not a professional diet guru or doctor or anything else. I'm one girl just sharing her experience so take it for what it is.

If I sound a little defensive and cranky, please forgive - I just spent an hour crawling through a McDonald's playland searching for my 3-year-old's shoes. Which we never found. And then he soaked his shirt at the water fountain and decided that naked is better than wet. No matter that it is December and there is snow. We went into McDonald's fully clothed and emerged wearing only socks - which I suppose is a good thing considering they won't let you in the Playland without them (the sign doesn't mention pants!) To top it off, the same child dumped out an 18-count carton of eggs on the floor and is now refusing to go to bed despite it being an hour and half past his bedtime. Oh, did I mention I have 4-week old infant? It's been a day. So please, enough with the crazy comments. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I LOVE other opinions. Please do share your experiences with me. But cut the profanity and name calling or I will delete it.

To my regular readers - you know I love you guys! To the visitors - I hope you stick around, whether or not we agree about this diet. (Also, can someone please tell me why this is suddenly so popular? Did this Jon Benson have an affair with Tiger Woods too?!)

So, if I haven't completely scared everyone out of commenting, here's a new thread. Lay it on me: What are your thoughts about the every other day diet (either concept or book)?

No comments:

Post a Comment