Ping Site

Monday, August 9, 2010

Supplement THIS!

Time and time again I get asked "what supplements do you use?" As competitors, we are constantly looking for an edge, and looking for ways to enhance our bodies through outside sources. Even if you're NOT a competitor, if you weight train and exercise consistently, chances are, you have an interest in supplements as well. Although I do my best to get the most of what I need through whole, natural food sources, I too, am in possession of a "full to the brim" cabinet full of supplement fun.

What I supplement with will change throughout the year, depending on where I am in my contest prep, as well as what my physique goals are. For instance, if my goal is fat loss, my supplement intake will be different then if my goal was to gain lean muscle mass. The following supplements are 11 (yes I couldn't narrow it to just 10) of my favorite, which I use on and off throughout the year depending on my goals. I am partial to specific brands, as you'll see in my listing, but if I had to settle down with 11 supplements for the rest of my life, the following would be my choices!
  1. JAY ROBB VANILLA WHEY PROTEIN POWDER- this is the only protein powder I use anymore. Jay Robb Whey Protein powder is a delicious whey isolate that is free from aritifical sweeteners, synthetic hormones, and other chemicals. One scoop holds 110 calories, zero sugar, zero fat, and 25 grams of protein. It has no sugar, no cholesterol, no aspartame, no sucralose, no artificial sweeteners, no casein, no gluten, and no msg. To top it off it's sweetened with Stevia AND the cows the whey is derived from are rBGH FREE (meaning they are grass fed cows that are steroid FREE- not treated with bovine growth hormone!) CLICK TO BUY
  2. JAYBAR PEANUT BUTTER BARS- I use these bars when I'm not dieting for a quick and easy meal replacement. These are pretty much the only protein bars I eat, for the same reasons I use the Jay Robb Protein Powder. The bars are REAL bars, not candy in disguise. They are made with organic ingredients and formulated without corn syrup, sugar, casein, artificial sweeteners, malitol, evaporated cane juice, sucralose, or aspartame. Each bar has 240 calories, 15g of protein, 11g of fat, 5g fiber, 6g sugar (from low glycemic organic agave syrup), and 12g carbs. CLICK TO BUY
  3. MRM CLA 1250- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is a naturally occuring free fatty acid found mainly in dairy and meat- in trace amounts. CLA has been proven to build muscle while reducing bodyfat. Several studies back this claim, and I use CLA in my supplement routine both pre contest, and when I'm not dieting. I happen to like MRM's brand of softgel CLA the best: CLICK TO BUY
  4. NOW LIQUID L-CARNITINE TRIPLE STRENGTH- Liquid L Carnitine stimulates the breakdown of fats. L-carnitine transfers long-chain fatty acids, such as triglycerides into mitochondria (a cell's energy powerhouse), where they may be oxidized to produce energy. L-carnitine promotes growth and development, and it is also used for fat-burning, increasing energy, and improving resistance to muscle fatigue.It helps to build muscle and it is also great in dieting, as it reduces feelings of hunger and weakness... I use this supplement year round as well. CLICK TO BUY
  5. TWINLAB YOHIMBE FUEL- Although Yohimbe is most commonly thought of to support a healthy libido, it also has been shown to be useful in increasing fatty acid mobilization by decreasing fat synthesis.....and (here's the main reason I use it) ESPECIALLY from fat stores in women's hips and glutes! Twinlab Yohimbe Fuel is the best product I've tried: CLICK TO BUY
  6. DYMATIZE GUGGL COMPLEX- Guggl is a non stimulant based fat burner which works in the body by preserving or increasing thyroid output, preserving and increasing your metabolic rate, and lowers bad cholesterol, raises good cholesterol. Since it's not a stimulant, you won't get any jitters from it, and you can stack it with other stimulant based fat burners for a more dramatic result, which I do when dieting. When not dieting, I still use Guggl. CLICK TO BUY
  7. SPECIES NUTRITION SOMALYZE- I swear by this and have since day 1 of it's release. Smalyze is a night time sleep aid that doubles as a fat loss aid as well. I use it mainly for its sleep aid properties- it's the only sleep aid I've tried to allows me to fall asleep and wake up ready to go- I never feel hungover or zonked the next morning. I take this especially when dieting since hunger often keeps me up late at night. CLICK TO BUY
  8. BETANCOURT NUTRITION'S BCAA CHEWIES- BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) are essential in that they are metabolized directly into the muscle- they are anabolic (build muscle) while at the same time work to be anti-catabolic (stop muscle breakdown). I like the Betancourt Chewies because its a nice change from swallowing a pill or choking down a chalky powder- CLICK TO BUY
  9. BETANCOURT NUTRITION'S GLUTAMINE CHEWIES: Glutamine supplementation has been shown to minimize the breakdown of muscle tissue while supporting protein metabolism. Glutamine supplementation helps your body avoid being catabolic (breaking down muscle) through strenuous exercise. I like the Betancourt Chewies because its a nice change from swallowing a pill or choking down a chalky powder- CLICK TO BUY
  10. OPTIMUM NUTRITION 100% NATURAL CASEIN in Chocolate Creme: I use this at night if I get hungry. This casein protein has no artificial sweeteners in it. It DOES have evaporated cane juice (unfortunately) but it's still the cleanest version of casein I've found. I mix mine with water to create a pudding and freeze for 20-30 minutes before eating. If I'm not dieting I add some agave syrup or raw honey to sweeten it up a bit. Casein is a slow digesting protein which helps retain muscle and is especially beneficial overnight when you are in a forced fast state. CLICK TO BUY
  11. NOW MCT OIL (100% PURE)- MCT Oil ROCKS, and I use it especially when dieting. It's a weight management thermogenic that helps to spare lean muscle tissue. Other oils contain MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) such as coconut oil, but I use NOW MCT Oil because it's 100% Pure, meaning it doesn't contain MCT's, it IS an MCT. MCT's are more easily and rapidly digested then other types of fats, because they require lower amount of enzymes and bile acids for intestinal absorption. They are metabolized very quickly in the liver and have been reported to increase energy expenditure, while decreasing fat storage. There have been numerous studies that suggest the substitution of MCT Oil for other fats in a healthy diet may help support healthy body weight and body composition. CLICK TO BUY
And there you have it- the 11 top supplements I could not live without in my supplement cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment