Ping Site

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Michelle Obama Ruins Easter


You've got to hand it to Michelle Obama - by proclaiming her goal to "end childhood obesity in one generation" as her platform as First Lady she certainly isn't taking the safe route. I'm not mocking previous First Ladies but saying kids need to read books is pretty tame compared to telling people their kids are fat and are going to die young. And this last weekend she showed that she meant what she said when she revamped the traditional White House Easter celebration. Seeing as I didn't even know the White House celebrated Easter much less has an annual "egg roll", I'm not sure what the traditional festivities entailed although I'm assuming there was candy aplenty.

Not this year! All Peeps, Cadbury Eggs and other confections were chucked in favor of goody bags filled with... "pre-screened fruit." (And no I have no idea what exactly "pre-screened" means in this context either.) In addition, Olympic athletes were staked out at "exercise stations" arranged in a circuit. The (non)icing on the (nonexistent) cake was the hand sanitizing stations. This story gave me a good belly laugh. Michelle Obama healthified Easter!

That is SO something I would do. Man, I love her.

And it sounds like she had equally disastrous results as I usually do, judging from all the media commentary. The same media, I might add, that moan piteously about the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country.

To read the rest of the story and see how Good Housekeeping photoshopped all the sass out of our darling First Lady (and to see how I worked Jessica Simpson into the same article!), check out my post today over on the Huffington Post.

What do you think about Ms. Obama's healthy Easter initiative? Did she go too far to make her point or does Shaun White trump Jelly Bellies? Do you make any healthy concessions at your house when it comes to holidays or is it a beloved day of debauchery?

No comments:

Post a Comment