Ping Site

Monday, November 30, 2009

Mind, Body and Spirit at a Crossroads


If you ever wondered whether there's any real credence to the argument that each of these aspects of yourself are intimately interconnected, consider these questions:


1. When you are feeling stressed or in conflict, does it affect your sleep, appetite and energy?


2. Have you noticed that when you're run down physically, your outlook is less hopeful; you feel less emotionally resilient?


3. If you feel disconnected or adrift because you're unclear about your deeper sense of purpose or about how you should live to realize your potential, do you also feel less motivated to take care of your body? Is your reasoning less certain and intuitive?


The last couple of weeks have provided a bit of upheaval, including, but not limited to friction with my parents during the holiday, a renewed and almost ferocious will to study, meditate and create an environment of spiritual support for myself, the shocking and unexpected passing of the 20 year old son of my wife's boss (who, coincidentally is a former high school classmate of mine), my five year old daughter coming down with pneumonia, and her sharing her initial illness that preceded her current condition with me.


As a result, I've noticed that my ability to think more deeply and beyond the present demands of the day (and sometimes the hour) have been significantly compromised. And because I've been sick, I haven't been able to work out, which is my preferred form of therapy. What I have tried to do is focus on applying spiritual principles to my challenges. The most spiritually evolved people I know always seem to operate on a little deeper, more grounded level. They seem to, more often than not, get that these physical and emotional challenges are placed in our path specifically to provide an opportunity to extend compassion, patience, understanding and a willingness to learn and grow.


And that's what I intend to do with this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment