Ping Site

Monday, July 6, 2009

Darell's Victory



Earlier this year, I got the opportunity to work with a company conducting a three-month employee weight loss contest. There was lots of enthusiasm and a surprisingly high percentage of employees (nearly 70%) signed up at the start. I visited the site weekly with nutrition and healthy lifestyle small group coaching and led weekly exercises classes. I also offered e-mail support for those who had questions along the way.
Darell (pictured above before [left] and after [right] the contest), was the one person who took advantage of everything. He showed up for all the classes. He implemented the eating changes. He asked additional questions about how to improve his workouts. He ran changes by me that he'd made to some of his eating practices for my feedback. And because his company subsidized my services, he didn't spend a dime on that guidance.
How did Darell do in the contest?
He won - and by a pretty fair margin. He lost nearly a fifth of his body weight in fat and six inches in his waist in three short months.
So what makes Darell different than so many people out there who try and fail to lose weight over and over and then finally give up altogether? Well, I'd like to believe that the guidance and motivation I provided were critical elements in the mix. But that was available to all the employees.
Darell simply believed it was important enough to devote his time and energy to this effort. He wanted a better life now, while he was still young. He wanted to serve as an example to his friends, his family and his coworkers. But most of all, he just wanted to have control over his health and wellness.
I was glad to be a part of that.



No comments:

Post a Comment